May 25, 2016
May Coach Tip: Healthy Swaps That Taste Great!
Making healthy substitutions in your cooking doesn’t mean your food has to be flavorless or boring! Just by swapping out a few ingredients for healthier alternatives, you can lower your fat, sugar, and salt intake significantly. Try out different substitutions while cooking, or ask for them when you eat out!
Here are some of our favorites to start with:
- Ground beef -> try ground turkey
- Tip: with any ground meat or poultry, the leaner the better! Look for a percentage on the package and go for at least 90% lean.
- French Fries -> try baked sweet potato fries
- Iceberg Lettuce -> try baby spinach or other dark, leafy greens
- Flour Tortillas -> try corn tortillas
- Canned Fruit -> try fresh fruit, or frozen fruit with no added sugar or sauces
- Mayonnaise -> try spreading avocado
- Tip: squeeze lemon juice on unused avocado to keep it fresh and green for next time!
- Whole milk -> try reduced fat or fat free milk
- Tip: if your kids love whole milk, wean them off of it gradually by mixing whole milk with 2% for two weeks, then 2% with 1% for two weeks, then 1% with skim for two weeks.
- Sour cream -> try cottage cheese or lowfat greek yogurt
- Salt -> try adding herbs and spices like basil, cilantro, and dill instead!
For more substitution ideas, visit this great American Heart Association page. Post pictures of your healthier meals on social media with the hashtag #healthiertexas to inspire others!
We use social media to share resources, tools, and information to help you, your family, and your friends live healthy lives. It’s also a great way to join and connect with a growing network of Texans committed to making living healthy easier in our great state!