Homemade Gummies (With Protein)!
I am a sucker for gummies and unfortunately I cave into eating gummie candy to get my fill. So I hunted for homemade recipes on Pinterest and found some recipes that taste great! The one I like the best is from the blog meatified. I make it with strawberry and lemon juice. Of course, you can go crazy and choose your own fruit flavor, and use molds to get any shapes you want!
You will need a food processor or blender.
Makes 24 (depending on the mold or how you cut them) and takes a total of 45 minutes.
Ingredients for berry lemonade protein gummies:
½ cup lemon juice
¼ cup honey
2 cups of strawberry juice (use blender to liquefy fruit(s) of choice)
6 tbsp kosher gelatin (where the protein comes from)
*Side Note: I know reading the word gelatin may come across as unappealing. I have researched this ingredient and found that there are several pros to including a small amount of gelatin into your diet. According to WebMD, gelatin can help with strengthening bones, joints and fingernails as well as improve hair quality.
- Divide the juice; half into a small sauce pan and the other half into a bowl
- Add the gelatin to the bowl with the juice. Let it sit and dissolve in the juice, and it will solidify.
- On low-temp add the bowl mixture to the saucepan (don’t boil the mixture). Stir until they are combined smoothly.
- Add in honey until it is dissolved in the saucepan with the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into your molds. If you don’t have molds then use a refrigerator-safe pan.
- Let them sit and cool for 30 minutes.
- Store them in the fridge or at room temperature.
Kiddos & adults alike will love a small bag of these homemade gummies to cure a craving. Enjoy!
Written by Rebecca Banks, IT’S TIME TEXAS Intern & Texas State student from Dallas, Texas.