Foods With Surprising Natural Health Benefits!
Sometimes even the most unconventional foods can surprise us with what they can do for our bodies. Here are a handful you may not know about:
- Fermented Foods: You are eating beneficial probiotics that help with your digestive system and also help absorb nutrients of other foods. Yogurt is a great example – just make sure it’s fat-free and not loaded with sugar!
- Matcha Powder: This powder is used to make Green Tea, and contains many health benefits such as preventing disease, lowering cholesterol and blood sugar, calming the mind and body. Just put a small teaspoon of powder in a glass of hot or cold water and drink away!
- Popcorn: This snack is packed with whole grains, fiber and antioxidants when you make it yourself, by either air popping or using oil to pop whole kernels on the stove!
- Mushrooms: Adding about 1 cup to your diet each week can improve your immune system, help with weight management, and increase your vitamin D levels.
- Watercress: A vegetable in the cabbage family that can be used to make salads or as a garnish. Watercress is best known for being protective against cancer. It also helps with bone growth, fighting infection, and eye function.
- Pistachios: Who ever thought that a one serving of these tiny nuts would be packed with tons of nutritional benefits? They contain fiber, protein, and a ton of minerals and vitamins. They can also help your heart!
- Raisins: Another tiny food which contains many health benefits! Just ¼ cup can improve energy levels, iron, potassium, help with bone density, dental care and eye health. Mix them into homemade trail mix!
- Dark Chocolate: One square-inch of this delicious treat every other day is great! Dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants, helps improve blood flow and lowers blood pressure. It can also lower the risk of cardiovascular disease and improve brain function. Make sure you’re reaching for a bar with at least 70% Cacao.
Written By Christina Petrauskas, Choose Healthier Intern