Easy, Healthy Holiday Gift Idea: Homemade Fruit Butter!
Mulling over what to give your friends and family this holiday season? On a tight budget? Try this easy-to-make fresh fruit butter recipe that’s great for gifts! For a direct link: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/fresh-fruit-butter
Ingredients: Prep: 15-30minutes; 45minutes-1.5 hours (depending on the kind of fruit)
- 6 cups of prepared fresh fruit (peeled if you desire)
- 1 cup of water
- ¾ cup of honey
- 1 tablespoon of freshly grated lemon, lime, or orange zest
- ¼ cup of lemon, lime, or orange juice
- Combine fruit, water and sugar to taste in a Dutch oven; add citrus zest and juice if using. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook, mashing the fruit and stirring occasionally at first and then often as it thickens, until the mixture is very thick, 20 minutes to 1 hour (depending on the type of fruit). To test doneness, put a spoonful of fruit butter on a plate. If no liquid seeps from the edges, it’s done. Return to a simmer to thicken more if necessary. For very smooth fruit butter, puree in a food processor or blender, then strain and push the mixture through a sieve before storing.
- If freezing or refrigerating, ladle the fruit butter into clean canning jars to within 1/2 inch of the rim. Wipe rims clean. Cover with lids. Let the jars stand at room temperature until cool before refrigerating or freezing.