Traditions of Health: 12 Days of Self-Care
For many, the holiday season means planning and taking care of others. We fill our days with our regular hustle and bustle, and our evenings wrapping, decorating, and cooking. However, the busyness of the holiday season leaves little time to slow down and take care of oneself.
During this time of year, we encourage you and all of our fellow Texans to try their best to care for themselves while still giving to others. We encourage you to listen to your body and mind. The list below is to help give you ideas of how you can stop and do something for yourself within the next month.
12 Days of Self-Care
- The Intentional YES! Spend time doing the things you love. Always think before you respond. Be intentional with your actions and words. Being intentional will positively affect your overall wellbeing, health, and life.
- Be Present. We often times look back at pictures to reminisce, or we plan for the future. This year, we ask you to be present. Spend a couple of minutes in the morning meditating and practicing mindfulness. Try turning off your electronics and unplugging for a while.
- Fuel Your Body. The holidays are a busy time! While we’re out and about, try your best to not only fuel your body with nutrients it needs, but also meal prep for the days you plan to stay in. Check out the It’s Time Texas Instagram to see a video of our CEO, Amy McGeady, planning out her meals for the month!
- Make A Favorite Playlist. Whether it’s holiday-related, sorted by genre, or just one massive playlist—create a favorite one! Playing your favorite songs is a great way to stay positive, have a dance party, or calm you down when you’re feeling overwhelmed.
- Read a Book. Try out a new genre, re-read an old favorite, or choose a book that will help you grow. Spend just 20 minutes a day reading to feed your mind and soul.
- Start a Gratitude Journal. Each morning, quickly jot down one thing you are grateful for in your life. This could be a family member, friend, a healthy snack, perfect weather, or anything that makes you happy!
- Call the It’s Time Texas FREE Tele-Health Coaching Program. Our tele-health coaching is free, personalized, and confidential. Our coaches build a schedule around your lifestyle, keeping you accountable and helping you on your health journey. Call (844) 262-6224 to get started.
- Attend a Virtual Fitness Class. It’s Time Texas offers FREE, VIRTUAL fitness classes six days a week. We’ve got kickboxing, strength, Zumba, and more! Join a class at strongeraustin.org.
- Save Time for What Matters. Use your time to be with who matters most—your family, friends, favorite pet, and yourself! Spend that time doing something fun.
- Embrace the Outdoors. Take walk around your neighborhood, visit a local farmers market, sit outside to read, or go on a hike at one of Texas’ parks.
- Fulfill Yourself. What makes you feel good? Volunteering for a cause that means something to you, or donating to your favorite charity. Whatever it is, do it—intentionally!
- Join the 2022 It’s Time Texas Community Challenge. Our FREE, eight-week, statewide Community Challenge is a great way to kick off 2022. Stick to your new year resolutions and start your health journey with fellow Texans, competing for yourself, your employer, your community, or your school district.
Whether you do all 12 of these things, or focus on one or two, we hope you find time for yourself to focus on your health this holiday season!